Summer Tips: What to Know Before You Go!
Congratulations, you've made it through the year! Here are some answers to some frequently asked questions:
I'm going on vacation for a few weeks or months. Anything I should know or do before I go?
Don't forget to:
Can I borrow stuff over the summer if I'm not enrolled in classes?
- YES! But if you do not continue taking classes in the fall, it will expire.
Now that I'm done with classes, I'm looking for something fun to read or watch. Any suggestions?
- There are thousands of DVDs at the Libraries Media Center, including feature films and your favorite tv shows, which can be checked out for 7 days.
- The Good Reads Collection has popular fiction and non-fiction. It's a great way to find some good summer reading! We also have an audiobook collection and a study abroad collection. Perfect for your summer trip!
Can I still borrow stuff after I've graduated?
- YES! Make a gift to the Libraries of $100 and get a borrower's card* from Library Account Services (bring your letter of acknowledgment with you, or make your gift in Library Account Services).
- YES! Alumni Association members (and new grads get a special deal!) can get a borrower's card* from Library Account Services (bring your UWAA card with you).
- All visitors to the Libraries can also use our materials and databases on campus.
I'm graduating and leaving UW. Can I take my RefWorks citations with me?
UW provides access to RefWorks for all campus users, but not for graduates. If you are leaving UW, there are several ways you can retain access to your citations:
- If you are going to continue using RefWorks at another institution or through an individual subscription, you can use RefWorks' Backup/Restore feature to back up your database and move it to your new account.
- If you will not continue to have access to RefWorks or will be switching to another citation manager such as EndNote or Reference Manager, you should use the Export feature of RefWorks.