Using the BE Library

Discover Resources

Use the UW Libraries Catalog to find materials and electronic resources, including the holdings of the Built Environments Library.  The BE Library has several shelving locations, which are indicated in the catalog.

  • Can't find what you're looking for? Stop by the circulation desk for help.
  • Need research assistance?   Ask the BE Librarian.

Using Materials

All materials in the BE Library are available for on-site, free use by all our visitors. Most materials are in open stacks that can be browsed.  Selected items are kept in closed areas and require assistance by the library staff.

Current University of Washington identification is required to borrow materials. If you are not affiliated with the UW, find information about options under Borrowing Services.

The BE Library's service desk provides circulation services to users and can also assist with placing holds and recalls on books, help with missing materials and answer questions on circulation policy.

Most materials can be returned to any UW Libraries circulation desk or book drop.  Reserves, fragile items, and equipment must be returned to the BE desk.

Course Reserves

Course reserve materials are arranged by call number on open reserve shelves. Materials may be checked out for 2 hours, 4 hours, 24 hours or 72 hours.



Printing services are provided in the library through Paying for copies is done through your UW Husky ID Card or through pre-paid Dawg-Prints cards. If you have a UW Husky ID card you can open and account through UW Housing and Food Services or you can purchase a pre-paid Dawg-Prints card for $5.00 from the vending machine near our copier.

Our copy machine offers black/white copies in both 8 1/2" x 11" and 11" x 17" sizes.

A self-service print station is available for public printing from the computer workstations or through the wireless network. Prints can be one or two sided, standard 8 1/2 x 11" or 11 x 17" paper and can be either black/white or color (which will dispense through our copy machine). You can also send your print request for printing and pickup to other Library print stations and centers across campus. If you require specialty services you can check with Creative + Comminications or one of their campus copy centers for assistance.


One large and two small public scanners are available in the BE Library.

Computing-Audio-Video Equipment

UW Classroom Support Services offers a wide range of equipment.  Students in the Departments of the College of Built Environments can check out

  • Laptop computers (Mac and Windows) - 7 day loan
  • Portable data/video projectors - 4 hour loan
  • Digital cameras - 72 hour loan
  • Camcorders - 72 hour loan
  • Audio recording equipment - 4 hour loan