About the Media Center: Location, Mission, Equipment, Staff...
Location and Contact Information
Suzzallo Library, 3rd floor
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-2900
History & Mission
The UW Libraries Media Center was founded in 1972 and located on the mezzanine level of Odegaard Undergraduate Library. In June 2012 the Media Center departed Odegaard to make way that library's renovation. It found a new home on the 3rd floor of UW Libraries' mother-ship, Suzzallo Library.
Since its inception the Media Center has collected and provided access to media on a variety of film, video, and sound recording formats: 8-track, laser discs, reel-to-reel tapes, vinyl, DVD, streaming. Despite the mercurial nature of media formats, the Media Center remains dedicated to carrying out the UW Libraries' [slightly modified] mission:
To advance intellectual discovery and enrich the quality of life by connecting people with [audio/video/film] knowledge.
Equipment & Facilities
The Media Center has media equipment available outside its service desk in Suzzallo Library. This equipment and is intended for use by University of Washington students, staff, and faculty for the viewing of and listening to Media Center materials.
- Combo DVD\VHS players with large screen TVs;
- Multi-region DVD playback on PC computers (use VLC Player);
- Tri-standard VHS player (plays PAL, SECAM, and NTSC videos);
- Dual-deck audio cassette player;
- 33/45/78 rpm turntable for vinyl playback, and a cassette/turntable that can be used to digitize tapes and vinyl (instructions available here). Both can be borrowed from the Media desk for in-library use;
- VHS-to-DVD dubbing station (instructions available here);
- Headphones (can be borrowed from the Media desk);
- An archival jukebox that includes recordings from the Chamber Dance Company Collection, the Crocodile Cafe Collection, and the Media Center's CD collections.
The Media Center also lends the following equipment to UW students, staff, and faculty for 7 days at a time:
- Region-free DVD player
The Media Center is staffed by 4 FTE and many sharp/dedicated students. Staff members include:
Library Tech III
farleyas [at] uw [dot] edu
apx [at] uw [dot] edu
Library Tech Lead
starr13 [at] uw [dot] edu
Archivist & Head of Distributed Media
vallier [at] uw [dot] edu