Finding & Borrowing
You can find videos and sound recordings in the Media Center by either searching or browsing for them. What's the difference?
If you know what you are looking for (e.g., "Citizen Kane"), then search using WorldCat Local. WorldCat Local is featured on our homepage where it is limited to UW-only searches. If you want to search beyond UW, click "limit results to" and select "Summit Libraries" to search our Orbis Cascade partners' holdings. To expand you search even further, select "Libraries Worldwide." If you prefer searching with our vintage UW-only catalog, click here.
If you aren't exactly sure what you are looking for, but just want to browse by a particular genre ("documentary"), distributor (e.g., Criterion), or award (e.g., Academy Awards), then visit our Browse Media guide. New DVD and CDs lists are also posted to the Browse Media guide. You can also browse by artists, actors, directors, genres, musicians, and more within WorldCat Local. Just search for a term like "film noir" and then browse through the results.
As always, if you can't find what you are looking for, ask us!
Borrowing Videos & Sound Recordings
- Once I find what I'm looking for, how do I get it?
- Come to the Media Center service window and ask for the title (by call number, if possible!), OR request it directly from the catalog (see Search Tips). You will then receive an email letting you know when it's available.
- Who can borrow Media Center items?
- Media Center materials are available to University of Washington Libraries borrowers and patrons affiliated with Orbis Cascade Alliance member institutions. UW faculty, staff and students need only a valid Husky Card. For information about obtaining a UW Libraries borrowers card please contact Library Account Services. The Media Center does not loan media materials beyond Orbis Cascade Alliance member institutions.
Visitors with educational or research needs may request special access to access materials in the Media Center by making arrangements with the Media Center Supervisor or Head, Distributed Media Services. Fill out this form to arrange an interview.
- How long can I borrow Media Center items for?
- Most videos and compact discs can be checked out for 7 days with the possibility of unlimited renewals. Items on course reserve typically circulate for a 2- or 4-hour period and need to be viewed in the library.
- How can I renew and request Media Center items?
- You can renew materials, see what you have checked out, and request items through Your Library Account.
- How can I borrow media from UW Bothell and UW Tacoma?
- To request media items from UW Bothell or UW Tacoma, make your request through the UW Libraries Catalog by using the "Request" button at the top of the page.
Some UW Bothell and Tacoma items are library use only and can only be viewed in the Libraries Media Center. If needed, UW instructors may make arrangements to borrow items for preview or in-class presentation. To request library use only items from UW Bothell or UW Tacoma contact the Libraries Media Center in person, by email, or (206) 543-6051. The item will be sent directly to the Media Center within 3 to 5 days of the request. You will receive an email message when it is available for pickup.
Keyword: Use this search when you don't know the title or author, when you want to combine title and/or author and other words or when you just have a general subject in mind.
Title: Use this search if you know the exact title of the film or CD you want.
Author: Use this search when you know the name of the director, composer, performers/actors in major roles, or the name of the band/musical group.
Advanced Keyword Search: With this kind of search, you can limit the Publication Type to “Video, Slides, Media” or “Musical Sound Recordings.” It may also be helpful to limit your search by the Language and Location fields.