About the UW Music Library
The Music Library contains over 70,000 books and scores, 46,000 recordings and other media including video tapes and computer software, and current subscriptions to approximately 300 periodicals. Subjects covered include acoustics and physics of music, ethnomusicology, jazz, music education, and the history, literature, theory and performance of music.
Dewey Decimal scores and Library of Congress scores and books with call numbers through ML 299 are shelved in open stacks on the first floor. Library of Congress numbers ML 300 through Z, oversize materials, and periodicals are located on the ground floor. Periodicals are shelved in alphabetical order by title.
The Music Library allows covered drinks only. Food and uncovered beverages are prohibited from the library.
I. RISM A/II (Répertoire International des Sources Musicales)--manuscripts from circa 1600-1850
- A/II Online catalog; for UW owned manuscripts designated by "US-Su" location
- Printed Catalogue of UW holdings--ML113 .I6 Ser.A/II pt. US Su (Music Reference)
II. UW online catalog--manuscripts from all time periods
- Use Advanced Keyword screen, and designate “publication type” as “manuscript music scores.” Example below:
- This will retrieve:
- All original music manuscripts (including composition theses completed at the UW School of Music),
- Microfilm and printed facsimiles of manuscripts for which the original is held elsewhere.