Preservation Education Opportunities
The best source for current local and online training opportunities is the PRESERVENW listserv.
- Regional Alliance for Preservation Centers -- esp. Balboa Art Conservation Center, Lyrasis, and NEDCC have online and/or in-person workshops
- OCLC Western Service Center -- webinars and classes
- WESTPAS -- Western States and Territories Preservation Assistance Service -- workshops on disaster response for the west
A number of professional organizations also offer continuing education and workshops.
The following local organizations sometimes offer preservation programs:
Past Training Opportunities
- Washington Preservation Initiative Workshops (was funded by LSTA)
- Pacific Northwest Preservation Management Institute (one-time, funded by IMLS)
Kilgarlin Center for Preservation of the Cultural Record at University of Texas at Austin School of Information. The only formal full-time library preservation and conservation certificate program in the U.S.
Some other schools offer a preservation concentration within their library and information science programs (University of Pittsburgh and Simmons College, for example).
North Bennett School -- full-time bench bookbinding program (two years)
Rutgers University -- certificate program in Preservation Management
Four art conservation programs include paper conservation, photograph conservation, or conservation of library materials:
- NYU Institute of Fine Arts
- Queens Art Conservation (Kingston, Ontario)
- University of Buffalo Art Conservation
- University of Delaware/Winterthur Art Conservation
Ryerson University -- M.A. program in Photographic Preservation and Collection Management offered by Ryerson University (Toronto) and George Eastman House (Rochester, NY)
- Tisch School of the Arts, NYU -- M.A. program in Moving Image Archiving and Preservation.
- Selznick School of Film Preservation, George Eastman House -- M.A. and certificate programs in film preservation
- UCLA Moving Image Archive Studies Program-- includes a preservation component
ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND ETHNOGRAPHIC CONSERVATION
UCLA/Getty Program in Archaeological and Ethnographic Conservation -- M.A. program in Archaeological and Ethnographic Conservation
- RIT Image Permanence Institute's Preserving Photographs in a Digital World workshop
- Cornell and ICPSR's Digital Preservation Management workshop
- Rare Book School at the University of Virginia and California Rare Book School
- Paper and Book Intensive
Preservation Education Directory, 8th edition
A comprehensive directory of preservation education opportunities made available by ALA's Association for Library Collections and Technical Services Division. Last updated in 2002.