Accessibility at the Libraries
The Libraries is dedicated to ensuring access and inclusion for all patrons with disabilities.
- Upon request, library staff in all units will assist with the retrieval of books and with the use of electronic and other bibliographic resources. Time needed for retrieval will vary depending on staff availability.
- Wheelchair accessible study carrels and electronic work stations are available throughout the Libraries.
- All computers on the University of Washington campus come loaded with ZoomText screen magnification software. Other specific stations at Suzzallo, Odegaard, Health Sciences libraries, and other locations run more extensive access software suites.
- The Media Arcade (Allen Library North 3rd floor), has video playback equipment capable of displaying closed captioning and one wheelchair accessible VHS/DVD player.
- The Access Technology Center is in Mary Gates Hall, suite 064. It is wheelchair accessible and offers adaptive equipment.
Suzzallo Library has several rooms which are available for use by students with disabilities who have obtained eligibility to use the room through Disability Resources for Students (DRS).
- DRS issues the key codes used to access these rooms.
- A DRS student ID card verifies eligibility to use these rooms. Library staff, DRS staff, Access Technology Lab staff, as well as other students with disabilities needing to access these rooms, may request to see the DRS student ID card to verify eligibility to use the rooms. Students who do not have the DRS student ID card will be asked to vacate the room.
Many campus buildings do not meet all of the current ADA accessible standards and library units' hours vary, so it is wise to contact the unit directly to identify accessible routes and facilities and to confirm that assistance will be available during the time of your visit.
Students, staff and faculty who are registered with Disability Resources for Students (DRS) or Disability Services Office (DSO) and may need another person to pick up their library items should contact Library Account Services. Courier cards may be issued for this reason, and will extend only through the time the accommodation is needed.
HathiTrust Service for Users With Print Disabilities
Other Campus Resources
- Disability Accommodations at UW
Policies and resources
- Disability Parking and Transportation Services
- D Center
UW's Disabled and D/deaf cultural center
- Disability Services Office
Offers assistance to University employees or members of the public attending University events.
- Disability Resources for Students
Provides UW students with academic accommodations.
- UW Accessible Technology
Policies and resources for accessible technology at the University