Ecology and Conservation: Humans in the Environment| Background Sources | Books | Journal Articles | Government Documents | Statistics | Help |
Encyclopedias and dictionaries provide background information and can be
used to identify key people, events and dates. Many also include short
- AccessScience @ McGraw-Hill
- Online, updated version of McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technolgy. Includes a topic section on Food Sciences and Technology. UW restricted
- Britannica Online
- Online version of the Encyclopedia Britannica. UW restricted
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity
- Natural Sciences Reference; Bothell/CCC Reference
- QH541.15.B56 E53 2001
- Encyclopedia of Food and Culture
- Food in its relations to society. Some entries include tables with statistical information, for example, production, imports, and exports.
- Suzzallo Reference; Tacoma Reference
- GT2850 .E53 2003
- Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology
- Full text online access. UW restricted
The database indexes listed here are available through the Web. UW restricted means that they are accessible on campus and in order to use the databases from your home computer, you must either connect to this page using the UW dial-in modem pool or the Libraries Proxy Server; see Connecting to the Libraries.
Some citations may include the full-text article. Others may provide call numbers and locations of where to find the item in the library. For some, you may need to look in the UW Libraries Catalog for the journal name. Do a title search for the journal name to see if the UW subscribes to it and where the journal is kept (library location and call number). Make sure you have the complete citation (author, title, journal name, volume, pages, and year).
Articles from journals which the UW does not own can be requested through UWorld Express.
Indexes to Newspapers and Popular Magazine Articles
- Expanded Academic Index
- Index to articles (both popular and scholarly) in all disciplines. Full-text articles available for selected journals and magazines. UW restricted.
- Lexis Nexis Academic Universe
- Full text database of U.S. and international newspaper articles as well as some magazine, wire service and television transcripts. UW restricted.
- Research Library
- Index to articles (both popular and scholarly) in all disciplines. Full-text articles available for selected journals and magazines. From the menu, choose Research Library Complete. Research Library also provides access to National Newspapers and Washington Newstand. UW restricted.
Indexes to Scholarly Articles
- Index to articles, technical reports and selected books in the field of agriculture and related sciences. UW restricted.
- Index to articles in the life sciences, including ecology, zoology, botany, biotechnology, microbiology, and medicine. UW restricted.
- Index to articles in geography, ecology, environmental studies. UW restricted.
- Science Citation Index
- A multidisciplinary database, with searchable author abstracts and cited references, covering a wide variety of science fields. UW restricted.
- FAO STAT
- From the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (USDA)
- From the U.S. Department of Agriculture, includes the Census of Agriculture.
- Stat USA UW restricted.
- Provides access to statistical publications including economic and trade related records.
- Statistical Universe UW restricted.
- Abstracts and indexes of statistical information from over U.S. government publications, state and private sources, and international organizations.
Citation and Writing Guides
Dictionaries and Thesauri
Ask A Librarian
Steps to Doing Research in the Natural Sciences
15 October 2003
Patty Carey - firstname.lastname@example.org
© 1999-2003 University of Washington