Prepared by: Amanda Hornby, Geography Librarian
IM: uwhornbya (Yahoo) amandalibrarian (Google talk)
- Hoover's Online UW restricted
- Detailed company information and industry profiles.
- Mergent Online UW restricted
- Detailed company information including financial information, SEC filings, corporate annual reports, etc.
- See also these Research Guides from the Foster Business Library:
Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC) regulates all trade of stocks and requires public companies to submit information on their business finances using the EDGAR online system. Use EDGAR to view reports such as the 10-K or DEF14A/Proxy Statement or 8-K.
- Executive Compensation: Answers from the SEC Website
- Executive Compensation : A Guide for Investors (published by SEC but no longer hosted on their website)
- Form 10-K
Annual filing required by SEC - a comprehensive overview of the company's business and financial condition and includes audited financial statements. For other information about the SEC start with their Fast Answers - Key Topics page.
- SEC Forms List
Private companies in Washington state register with the Washington State Secretary of State Dept of Corporations Provides definitions, forms, lookup website for corporations that have registered, phone/email to obtain complete registration report. Registrants provide this info:
- Corporate Name
- Contact Info
- Articles of Incorporation
- Registered Agent
- Initial Annual Report - Optional
Important source for current activities of your TNC related to products, employment & labor, legal issues, government regulation, international business, etc.
- Alt-Press Watch UW restricted
- Full text database of selected newspapers, magazines, and journals of the alternative and independent press.
- Lexis-Nexis UW restricted
- Extensive array of full-text news from around the U.S. and the world (newspapers, wire services, transcripts and newsletters), business literature, industry and company information, legal, biographical, and reference resources.
- Factiva UW restricted
- Provides access to global news and business information, including newswires, newspapers, magazines, and trade publications; including Dow Jones and Reuters newswires, Wall Street Journal, and New York Times; sources are from 118 countries in 22 languages.
- Access World News UW restricted
- Top US newspapers (by circulation), local and regional papers, and international news publications (in English).
- Washington Newspapers UW restricted
- Indexing and full-text of major Washington newspapers, including the Seattle times, Seattle post-intelligencer, Puget Sound business journal, Spokane spokesman review, Tacoma news tribune, and Vancouver columbian, plus selected coverage of other regional sources
- Business Source Complete (EBSCO) UW restricted
- Full text and abstracting for articles in 1200 business magazines and peer-reviewed journals (some as far back as 1886). Additional full text, non-journal content includes financial data, books, monographs, major reference works, conference proceedings, case studies, investment research reports, industry reports, market research reports, country reports, company profiles, SWOT analyses and more.
- By Topic
- EconLit UW restricted
- Access to articles in scholarly journals about economics, economic theory, etc.
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO) UW restricted
- Access to articles in popular and scholarly journals on a broad range of subjects.
- GeoBASE UW restricted
- Contains bibliographic citations and abstracts for human geography (including urban, political and economic geography), physical geography (ecology, geology, geomechanics), oceanogeography and international and development studies.
- PAIS International UW restricted
- Covers social and public policy literature from thousands of periodicals, U.S. and U.N. government documents, books, and other sources.
- Agricola UW restricted
- Provides broad coverage of agriculture and related fields such as pests and pest control, aquaculture, forestry, pollution, law, economics, and rural sociology.
- Sociological Abstracts UW restricted
- Contains abstracts of serial literature in sociology and related disciplines from approximately 2,500 journals.
- Web of Science Citation Indexes UW restricted
- Includes Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED), 1975-present; Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI), 1975-present; and Arts & Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI), 1975-present.
- By Region of the World
- Articles published in and about Africa.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies UW restricted
- Western-language periodical articles, chapters in edited volumes, conference proceedings, anthologies, etc. pertaining to east, southeast, and south Asia.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies UW restricted
- A bibliography of books and index of articles in periodicals Latin America. Includes materials in the social sciences and humanities.
- HAPI Online (Hispanic American Periodicals Index) UW restricted
- Index to articles in magazines and journals produced in and about Central & South America.
- Index Islamicus UW restricted
- A bibliography of books and index of articles in periodicals on Islam and the Muslim world.
- EIU Online (Economist Intelligence Unit Online) UW restricted
- The Country Profiles provide economic and political information for 200 countries, both current & historical. ViewsWire provides concise analysis of economic, political and market developments worldwide. And there is more!
- WDI Online UW restricted
- World Development Indicators provided by the World Bank is an annual compilation of data about development, providing direct access to more than 550 development indicators, with time series for 208 countries and 18 country groups from 1960 to 2004.
- Demographic & social, energy, environment, industry, national accounts, and trade data for U.N. member countries. A list of national data sources is provided.
- May have regional or topical focus that will supplement the UN Statistics Division resources.
- A list of links, alphabetical by country name, maintained by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- STAT-USA UW restricted
- The primary data distribution point for the US Dept of Commerce. For international business, see especially the sections, Country Commercial Guides and the Market Research Reports but there is a great deal more available.
- The gateway to statistics from over 100 U.S. Federal agencies.
- Access the statistical resources of IGOs such as the UN, OECD, IMF, WHO, ILO, UNICEF, UNESCO and more dealing with international trade, finance, population, health, labor, and development issues, to name just a few.
- Statistical Universe UW restricted
- Index to publications with statistical content/tables, published by state, federal, and international governmental agencies as well as private and trade research organizations.
Citations and Writing guide
Harvard Citation Style