What are Primary Sources
- "historical raw materials"
- "the leavings, the shards, the remnants of people who once lived and don't live anymore"
- "is material -- a document or other evidence -- that was created during the period or the event"
- "firsthand testimony or direct evidence concerning a topic under investigation"
Types of Primary Sources
Physical evidence/Cultural artifacts
- Books written during the time
- Newspapers and magazines
- Government documents
- Interviews - Oral histories
- Other material
- Photographs & Films
Strategies for Finding Primary Sources in the UW Libraries
The UW Libraries has a huge collection of books that can be considered primary sources for European history. These include books written during the period for your topic (i.e., during the Russian Revolution), books written by participants, published collections of correspondence and other personal writings, memoirs and reprints of collections of primary source material. Most books are printed but some are microfilmed.
- Do author searches in the UW Libraries Catalog for books written by key participants (people or organizations).
- Limit your search by publication date(s). Do a keywords search in the UW Libraries Catalog for your topic and fill in the Year After and Before boxes.
- Use special subject headings that designate primary sources. Do a keywords search for your topic in the UW Libraries Catalog and add the phrase "and su:(sources or narratives or diaries or correspondence)"
- Indexes to Magazine Articles
|Bibliographie der deutschen Zeitschriften-literatur. 1896-1964||Reference AI9 .B5 |
|Poole’s Index to Periodicals, 1802-1907||Reference AI3 .P7|
|Subject Index to Periodicals, 1915-1961
||Reference AI3 .S78 |
- Magazines for Browsing
|Die Gartenlaube, 1867-1913|| Periodicals 053 GA|
|Illustrirte Welt, 1867-1872, 1888-1890|| Periodicals 053 IW|
|The Englishwoman, 1909-1921||Microfilm M-1339 |
|Illustrated London News, 1842-||Periodicals 051 IL|
|Spectator, 1906||Periodicals 051 SP |
|Vogue (London), 1916-1939||Drama MB-492 |
|Woman's life, 1895-1905||Microfilm A7545 |
|L’Illustration, 1909-1955||Periodicals 054 IL|
|Illustrirte Zeitung, 1907-1941||Periodicals 053 IL|
|Punch, 1900-1992 (1842-1899 in Special Collections)||Periodicals AP101 .P8|