Scholarly Publishing & Open Access Issues at UW
High Journal Prices
Some commercial publishers show double digit profits and can charge libraries over $20,000 per year for a single journal.
Authors Give Up Their Rights
Most authors transfer their copyright to publishers without understanding all the rights they are giving up.
Open Access is an Alternative
UW authors have many ways to make their work more visible, from publishing in open access journals to depositing their work in our repository, ResearchWorks.
|The digital revolution has resulted in radically simpler, timelier and more democratic access to a wide range of information. But we still see journal prices spiraling ever higher, plus disturbing restrictions on access to published research. It doesn't have to be this way...|
It's Your Scholarship—Control Your Publishing Options
Actions and Alternatives at UW
- ResearchWorks Services
- Open Access Institutional Repository
- UW Libraries Support for Open Access
- UW Faculty Senate Resolution on Open Access
- Open Access Week 2011
- images from an exhibit in the Research Commons Lobby thru the end of Autumn Quarter 2011
- Open Access Week 2012
- A description of UW-related activities associated with International Open Access Week 2012