Information and suggestions for evacuees

Information and suggestions for evacuees. UW, Vice-President for Student Affairs, Acc. 71-38, Box. 9. UW Libraries Special Collections.



1. All aliens or Japanese-American citizens may not now leave a restricted area. They will be evacuated by the army.

2. Evacuation will be to an established re-settlement are.

3. College students may reasonably expect to be permitted to leave the resettlement area to attend a college outside the restricted areas. How soon this permission will be granted is not known.

4. It may be reasonably expected that students leaving the re-settlement area to attend college will have their transportation paid.

5a. The following colleges have indicated their willingness to accept such college students as transfers: (Presumably some other institutions which have not been heard from will accept such students on application).

Univ. of Idaho, Moscow, Idaho Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
Univ. of So. Dakota, Vermillion, S. Dak. Univ. of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebr.
Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan. Kansas State Coll., Manhattan, Kan.
Iowa State Coll., Ames Iowa Univ. of Montana, Missoula, Mont.
Montana State Coll., Bozeman, Mont. Univ. of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
Oberlin College, Oberlin, Ohio Univ. of Chicago, Chicago, Ill.
Northwestern Univ., Evanston, Ill. Univ. of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
Univ. of Denver, Denver, Colo. State Coll. of Washington, Pullman, Wash.
Gonzaga Univ., Spokane, Wash.

5b. The following institutions have reported that they cannot accept such students at this time:

Iowa State Univ., Iowa City, Iowa Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisc.
Univ. of Illinois, Urbana, Ill.

6. Admission to another institution requires a transcript of record to be submitted with an application. Such transcript may be had on request to the Registrar of the University of Washington.

7. In general, full credit for work at the University of Washington will be granted in any American institution, though fractional credits my be lost on transfer.

8. Effort will be made to influence institutions to waive non-resident tuition, but such action will depend on the individual institution.

9. First contacts at the new institution may well be made at the YMCA or YWCA, the Dean of Men's, Dean of Women's, Dean of Students' offices, or community church organizations. These agencies can advise on housing, employment, and social contacts.

10. Letters of introduction will be gladly supplied on request to any of the following:

  1. Mr. Robert O'Brien, Assistant to the Dean of College of Arts and Sciences
  2. Mr. Floyd Schmoe, Friends Center, 3959 15th N.E.
  3. Mr. M.D. Woodbury, Executive Secretary, University YMCA
  4. Miss Ruth Haines, Executive Secretary, University YWCA
  5. Miss May Ward, Dean of Women
  6. Mr. Dean Newhouse, Dean of Men
  7. Your friends on the faculty, in Seattle churches, or in other organizations.

11. Seniors may apply to the Graduation Committee of the Univesity of Washington for an exception to the Senior residence rule which would permit the student to take up to a total of two quarter's work (30 quarter hours) at another institution and still receive a degree from the University of Washington if graduation requirements are satisfied. Requests for application blanks should be addressed to the Registrar, University of Washington.

12. Advice on selection of a desirable institution to which to transfer can best be secured from an advisor in your major department.

13. It is advisable to write to the prospective institution for a catalog, and to apply for admission as early as possible.

14. Keep you grade sheet. It is an unofficial copy of your record which may prove quite valuable at the time of admission.

15. Probably scholarships will be made available before fall for individual students. Inquiries are invited by those mentioned in 10.